Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Cartoons and Comics


For the more creative students, creating comic strips online for an assignment can be fun. Heck, once my daughter learned about these websites, she started making comics just for fun, since she already likes to draw them.



The first site I tried out was Toondoo. Out of the three free comic creating cites I tried, this one was in the middle when it came to customization. The site had more options than Makebeliefscomics, but less than Pixton. This site seems a bit heavy on the clip art, but you do have more options when trying to create a story than Makebeliefscomics.

Click on the comic to make it larger:





                                                 
The second comic site I tried out was Pixton. Pixton has soooo many built in options, and was easily my favorite online comic creator. The characters are HIGHLY customizable! The only problems I had with Pixton was a steady learning curve that meant a few of my slides were reverted back to the beginning when I tried to proceed forward, terrible lag, and I could not create my original idea because in order to upload photos into the comic, I had to be a paying member. I did love creating and naming my own characters, and at some point I'd like to create a Pixton that is history related because I'm a history nerd.





                                               

The last free comic website I tried out was Makebeliefscomix.com. Users can only select pre-approved backgrounds and characters, which are limited. This site would be best for younger kids, to give them practice creating scenarios before they move to more advanced comic creators. The site allows for little customization, but is also the easiest to use.

Click on the comic to make it larger:




1 comment:

  1. Using comics to present history would be really fun! The first graphic novel I read was _The Red Badge of Courage_ and I think it worked well. That sounds fun! Your post was informative and your examples were useful to show what one can do with comics.

    ReplyDelete